But I saw this stack of books on my shelf and I realized that it is symbolic of my life right now
- The insanity and darkness of A Clockwork Orange which haunts my days and nights.
- Robinson’s literary masterpiece Housekeeping which is about anything but. Yet I wish it were. Because I can’t figure out how to keep house.
- On Writing Well a leftover from the glory days when I was a college instructor.
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding because even though you think that something as ‘natural’ as breastfeeding would come easily, it really doesn’t for some of us.
- A few other literary texts, and one from an organization for which I volunteer (and funnily is called Freedom from Behind Bars which is amusing given the fact that my house seems like a prison).
- and A Good Man is Hard to Find which I’ll just let speak for itself.Voila. The perfect mish-mash of literary, instructional, mommy, crazy, light, dark, joy, sorrow, professional, family, books that are the explosion of a new mother’s life.
Elise Silva, Mother of one, English faculty